Recipe from Food Safari for a great chicken dish!
- Chermoula Marinade
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 preserved lemon, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- Ĺ birds eye chilli
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, stems and leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, soaked in a little water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 bay leaves, torn in half
- And then.....
- 1 whole chicken, size 10 or 12
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 150g pitted green olives
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 preserved lemon, cut into 6 segments.
Wash and dry the chicken and remove backbone, wing tips and any excess fat. Cut into pieces. Rub all over with Ĺ of the chermoula marinade and refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
Combine the tomato and onion with a little more chermoula and spread into the base of the tajine (this will prevent the chicken from burning on the bottom).Arrange chicken pieces in the centre of the tajine on top of tomato mixture. Coat potato wedges with chermoula and arrange around chicken. Top with onion slices, then tomato slices and olives in between the potato wedges.
Mix chopped coriander with remaining chermoula and water. Pour over mixture. Decorate top with preserved lemon wedges.
Cover tajine with lid and cook on a very low gas heat for 45 minutes. Do not stir or lift the lid during the cooking process. Serve the Tajine directly to the table
and impress your guests with a waft of fragrant steam when itís time to serve with couscous and harissa.